Seoul, April 4 || South Korean Acting Defense Minister Kim Seon-ho on Friday urged the military to establish a robust readiness posture against possible North Korean provocations following the Constitutional Court's ruling that ousted impeached President Yoon Suk Yeol.
Kim made the call as he convened a meeting of key commanders following the ruling, joined by senior officials from the defence ministry, as well as chiefs of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and armed services, the Defence Ministry said.
"We need to establish a firm military readiness posture against North Korea while perceiving the current stern situation and ensuring the people's safety," he said, instructing the commanders to seamlessly conduct planned operations and training while adhering to political neutrality, news agency reported.
The acting minister also called for an overwhelming response posture, under a firm South Korea-US combined defense posture, against the possibility that the North may carry out an unexpected provocation following the ruling, according to the ministry.
In a unanimous verdict delivered earlier in the day, the Constitutional Court upheld Yoon's impeachment over his failed martial law declaration on December 3, immediately forcing him out of office.
Earlier in the day, senior aides to former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol offered to resign en masse, the presidential office said, after the Constitutional Court removed him from office over his failed martial law bid.